Kareena Kapoor Khan is already looking a few kilos lighter and slimmer and she’s glowing all the more just two months after the birth of her son Taimur Ali Khan.
“The idea is to have faith. And to do it all in a continuous, sustainable way,” the new mommy said in a Facebook Live chat on Tuesday.
The video has already clocked over 8.7 lakh views, with thousands of people, especially women, commenting on it with their own diet queries.
Kapoor Khan put on 18kg during her pregnancy, courtesy all the ghee and parathas she ate.
“And I flaunted it, double chin and all, until the day I walked into the hospital. People said I could eat grilled fish or meat to avoid putting on weight. But I wanted to do it the conventional way, the right way. So I ate it all, but in the right quantities,” she said.
According to her dietician Rujuta Diwekar, the target for Kapoor Khan has always been to take it a step at a time and not rush the process. “Because we don’t want to go one step forward and two steps back, which is what happens when you do a crash or extreme diet,” Diwekar, who was also at the chat, said.
The goal is to let everything inside your body that changed in the nine months of your pregnancy to get back into order.
“My aim is not just to lose the weight I had put on. I don’t want to do it overnight. It may take long, but I want to feel light, happy and energetic throughout the process. And that is important,” Kapoor Khan said.
For women who have just had a baby, this interaction had a lot of good pointers on how to get back into shape while building and maintaining a strong body post pregnancy.
Here are a few takeaways:
1. “One very important thing all women should know is that in one pregnancy, you lose five years of calcium in the body,” Kapoor Khan said. “So getting back into shape also means accelerating the calcium levels in the body.” She has been religiously having a tall glass of milk every night.
Dairy has a lot of CLA (conjugated linoleic acid) that helps you burn more fat, Diwekar explained. “And also short chain fatty acids that lead to mobilisation of fat from stubborn areas, such as the tummy,” she said.
2. Talking about the dark circles a lot of women develop postpartum, Diwekar suggested increasing the intake of foods that have a high content of Vitamin B12 and iron, such as dahi, chaach and pickle. “Even til ka laddoos (sesame seed) that Kareena loves has a lot of B12 and iron that help get rid of dark circles. But no binging—everything should be had in controlled amounts.” Coconut with jaggery and bajra roti with ghee and gur are other things you may eat for upping your iron levels.
3. “I was in panic mode post my delivery to lose all the weight I had gained,” Kapoor Khan said. “I even insisted Rujuta to put me back on my Tashan diet. But she told me we can’t do that now as this time, we need to get my body back in shape in a progressive manner.”
She was also quite apprehensive about the rice she had been asked to eat—that too twice a day! “The reason is that eating rice allows you to bring back a lot of the good bacteria that something as strenuous as a delivery may wash out,” Diwekar explained.
4. One thing that the duo talked about repeatedly was the importance of refraining from crash diets. “That is what leads to a lot of lifestyle disorders, such as post pregnancy thyroid,” Diwekar warned. “Because when you’re on a crash diet, you reduce the calorie intake so much that your body is forced to slow down its metabolism.”
It’s also important to not just lose weight but to rebuild your bone and muscle density. “The more bone and muscle you carry, the more compact you look. And the less bone and muscle you carry, the flabbier you look,” she said. So when you crash diet, you may lose weight, but you’ll still look flabby.
5. As for exercises to supplement your diet to get back in shape, the actor and her dietician swear by walking. “Rujuta always says that walking is the best exercise in the world. Post pregnancy, when even getting on a treadmill can be tough, 20-30 minutes of walking can really help,” Kapoor Khan said. “It has helped me beautifully. I can already feel my core strength increasing.”
Follow @htlifeandstyle for more.