4. Leafy Rotisserie Chicken Salad With Creamy Tarragon Dressing Have a hankering for a creamy, comforting chicken-salad sandwich? Try this: It’ll satisfy your taste buds while still fitting into the DASH diet plan. One trick to keeping it trim is using a cleverly healthful salad dressing. Toss cannellini beans, white balsamic vinegar, extra-virgin olive oil, garlic and fresh tarragon in a blender and give it a whirl. The beans make it creamy while sneaking extra fiber and protein into your salad. Top a bed of mesclun or baby arugula with cubes of rotisserie chicken breast (preferably organic), red grapes, cucumber, toasted pine nuts, more beans and tarragon and black pepper. CALORIES: 362. Get the recipe here.
5. Spinach-Stuffed Turkey-Burger Patties Can’t decide whether you’d like a veggie or turkey burger? You don’t have to. You can sink your teeth into both — all in one patty! Basically, this starts as a turkey burger, then the addition of a significant amount of fresh baby spinach gives it vegetable-lovers’ appeal. It incorporates other nutritious ingredients, such as oats, garlic, lemon juice and an egg, to provide a just-right taste and texture. Worth noting is that the duo of spinach and egg provides a healthful dose of eye-friendly lutein and zeaxanthin. Serve this bodacious burger as desired, such as on a whole-grain bun with your favorite vegetable toppings and a dab of Dijon. CALORIES: 172. Get the recipe here.
Related: 10 Foods to Trim Your Waistline
6. Ricotta and Pomegranate Bruschetta Bruschetta is traditionally Italian garlic toasts with a tomato-based topping. This recipe provides a sweet-and-savory way to enjoy these bread-based bites. Small slices of toasted whole-grain fruit-nut bread (like raisin-pecan) are topped with a lemony, low-fat ricotta cheese, sprinkled generously with fresh pomegranate arils (seeds) and accented with fresh thyme. Pomegranate arils aren’t just uniquely chewy and sweet, they’re a great source of fiber. All together, this fruity, luscious take on bruschetta is a palate-pleasing bite, perfect for your next party. CALORIES: 261. Get the recipe here.
7. Chocolate-Mint “Ice Cream” This technically isn’t ice cream, but it’s amazing how much it seems like it, considering that it’s made with just three simple ingredients: frozen bananas, cocoa powder and peppermint extract. The texture of it is spot-on. The full-flavored combination of cocoa and peppermint helps disguise the banana flavor. You’re basically getting a potassium-rich fruit serving in one of the most dessert-like ways possible. The bonus is that it’s so easy to make — just purée it in a food processor. That’s it. Have a supersize scoop of it right after a workout. Your muscles will thank you! CALORIES: 94. Get the recipe here.
By Jackie Newgent, RDN, CDN
Read more from LIVESTRONG.COM:
The original article “Health Benefits of the DASH Diet and 9 Delicious Recipes” appeared on LIVESTRONG.COM.
- 22 Mediterranean diet recipes to improve your health
- 1700 Calories, 64 Ounces of Water and Not Many Carbs: What Kim Kardashian West Eats in a Day
- How to prevent future heart issues in children with a lower sodium diet
- ‘The Plant-Powered Diet’ Cookbook Extols The Benefits Of Going Meatless
- Raw Week: How to Ease Into a Raw Diet